When I started at my internship, I sort of naturally fell into a tech support role for the library. This turned into requests to update the old website using Dreamweaver, which was fine until I went to upload the changes – after the wave of staff turnover just before I came, no one had the correct password to our host. Not the end of the world, since we got back in, but a sign that something needed to change. Before I’d started, a friend who knew the library well had showed me a new website that was supposedly “in the works.” More than a little frustrated, I asked about it.
And so it became my assignment. It had gotten a bit overlooked in the rush of the early fall staffing shortage, and since I was asking, I was now in charge.